Mission, Objectives & Educational Outcomes
Ocean Engineering Program Mission Statement
The Ocean Engineering Program's mission is to provide an outstanding ocean engineering program for learning and research and to prepare individuals to meet national and international engineering challenges in the ocean environment. The goal of the Ocean Engineering Program is to develop and offer a comprehensive and broad curriculum in science and engineering that prepares a student, upon graduation, to effectively perform engineering tasks in the ocean environment or to successfully pursue higher studies and research in engineering.
Ocean Engineering Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the ocean engineering baccalaureate program at the Florida Atlantic University, within a few years after graduation, will:
- Demonstrate an ability to carry out engineering tasks in the multi‐disciplinary field of ocean engineering.
- Make meaningful contributions in terms of design, development and integration of engineering systems, particularly for applications in the ocean environment.
- Pursue further study for the graduate degree and/or participate in professional societies.
- Develop and exhibit leadership qualities in their engineering work.
- Understand various complexities and issues of the contemporary society and make professional contributions in the larger and long-term interest of the society.
Educational Outcomes for Student Performance
The program will meet the above objectives by establishing the following educational outcomes for student performance. At the time of graduation, the students will attain the following:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.