MSME Admission Requirements
Specific admission requirements for mechanical engineering are more stringent than the general FAU graduate admissions requirements. A candidate for the master's degree program in mechanical engineering must satisfy the following entry requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree in engineering, science or mathematics.
- A 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA or better in the last 60 credits of undergraduate work.
- A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score must be submitted. GRE scores more than five years old will not be accepted. The GRE requirement is waived for applicants who have a bachelor's degree from FAU's Ocean and Mechanical Engineering Department with a GPA of at least 3.25 over the last 60 credits.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. Students from non English-speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 79(IBT), or take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and achieve a score of at least 6.0.
- All students will have a thesis or advisory committee during their studies. For thesis students their advisor is the chair of the advisory committee. A thesis or advisory committee must be formed before the plan of study can be filed. Students who enter the program without an assistantship will be assigned a mentor by the chair of the graduate committee. Students without an advisor are required to visit at least three faculty members during their first semester requesting to form an advisory committee. A report on the outcome of the faculty visits must be filed with the campus graduate coordinator.
- Adherence to the policies and regulations and the graduate admission requirements of the University as outlined in the University catalog.
- Conditional admission may be permitted if the above requirements are not met.